Wednesday 15 May 2013

Exclusive leaked script from Breaking Bad finale

INT. HANK'S CAR, NIGHT 

On a dark surburban street, HANK sits behind the wheel of an unmarked car with WALT in the passenger seat, both of them looking tense. They are parked outside of a house with several cardboard boxes on the porch.




WALT
You can’t be serious.

HANK
Oh I am, Walt.

WALT
This place is a dump. You can’t expect me to -

HANK
You’re not 'Heisenberg' anymore. You won't even be 
'Walt' for much longer, so just shut up.


WALT

You're just jealous, Hank. Jealous because 
my hair grows back.



A moving van pulls up in front of a house, and two teenage boys emerge from the house to unload boxes. 


WALT
You know, Hank, I could make you very comfortable. 
 You don’t have to do this.

HANK
Oh but I do have to do this. It just so happens 
that I want to, too.

FLASHBACK

INT. HANK'S OFFICE

HANK rests his hands on his fists, pensively looking at WALT who sits opposite him, with the copy of Leaves of Grass sitting in front of him. 

HANK
Boy, I gotta admit, you had me fooled for a long 
time, Walt.  (He leans back in his chair)
All those times I thought I knew you.

WALT
You should have looked closer, Hank.

HANK
Right under my god damn nose. You know, if this 
was anything else, I’d be impressed. But this is 
my turf, Walt, and you know I can’t just leave this 
alone, not something this huge. I’m obligated to bring 
you in.

WALT
(leaning closer to HANK)
You know, I think some people would find it hard 
to believe that you had no idea what I was up to. I 
think they’d find it hard to understand how a DEA 
official could have no idea that his brother in law 
was running the largest crystal meth empire
in America. I don’t think you realise that this 
doesn’t bode well for you either.


Hank sighs, stands and walks to the window.


HANK
You’re right, Walt. You’re absolutely right. 
 I know that if I turn you in for this you could 
implicate me, but on the other hand I can’t just 
let you walk away from this. Not scot-free, anyway.

WALT
What do you mean by that?

HANK
I mean that I’m not prepared to risk my career, 
everything I’ve worked for, just to bring you down. 
You’re not worth it. After all, don’t forget, 
I know that at heart you’re just a bum. 
(smiles)
 You think I don’t watch Diagnosis Murder?

WALT
(agitated)
That was years ago, that was the nineties, everyone 
did Diagnosis Murder…

HANK
Not me, Walt.  All I got was Charmed, and JAG 
(slams his fist against wall)
JAG, GOD DAMMIT!

WALT
What do you want from me, Hank?

HANK
I’ve made arrangements. You’ll need to pack up 
some of your clothes and be ready for midnight. 
 We can’t risk doing this move in the day, 
so be ready for when I come to get you tonight. 

WALT
Move? What move?

HANK
Witness protection, Walt. You have no other options.

Walt starts toward Hank, but instead despondently turns to leave. 

HANK
Oh and Walt? 

Walt turns back to face him.

HANK
Don’t bother trying to run. I’ve got Jessica 
Fletcher’s number - and she always finds what she’s 
looking for, and it's usually a corpse.
You of all people should know that.


Walt leaves. The camera pans over to Hank’s computer, which has freeze frame shots from Murder She Wrote and Diagnosis Murder open, featuring Bryan Cranston. I mean, uh, WALT


PRESENT TIME

An irate, tall brunette woman knocks on the car window.


BRUNETTE
Hey! HEY! You can’t park here, this is a residence - 

HANK
One second, ma’am. (To Walt) 
Whaddaya think of her?

WALT
Her? She’s alright, I guess. But you know 
I’m not interested, right?

HANK
Yeah I know, alright. You’re not going to 
ever move on from Skylar, you don’t want to find 
anyone else, blah blah blah.

WALT
What do you mean, blah blah blah? 
I’m serious, Hank.

HANK
Just like you were serious all those times
 when I confided in you, when we sat together at 
meals as a family?  (leaning in to WALT)
When you visited me in the hospital? That’s what 
I thought. Get out of the car.

Hank slams the car door, getting his coat caught up in it. As he struggles to free it, a man in a crisp suit is led from the house toward the van across the road in handcuffs.


WALT
Who’s that guy?

HANK
Oh, that’s your ‘son’.

WALT
My what?

HANK
Your son, his name's Francis. Used to be Barney.  
(He manages to free his coat)
He’s been sent into witness protection after 
New York’s entire female population filed simultaneous 
sexual harassment claims, all on the same 
afternoon.

WALT
Are you… are you sure that’s him, and not just 
someone who kind of looks like him?

HANK
I…uh… budget constraints, ya know

WALT
Right. Well, what’s he doing here anyway?

HANK
Well, the cost of the trials would have 
bankrupted the city of New York, so this was 
a cheaper solution.

WALT
He’s just going to get away with it, then, 
a sex-offender? A REPEAT sex-offender?

HANK
Nope. He’s off to military school. 
(He smirks) No women, no freedom, and a cadet uniform 
so far removed from his beloved designers suits, 
it should drive him crazy in a matter of hours.

WALT
Jeez, Hank.

HANK
Hey, he’s the monster here, not me. The best part 
is he’s your son.

WALT
He… he’s what?

HANK
Well, ya know, not biologically of course. But for 
the purposes of Witness Protection, we’ve gotta 
have somewhere to put him once he’s done his 
time in military school, so he’s going to be 
your oldest son.

WALT
I told you, Hank! I didn’t want a new family. 
If you’re going to take me away from my real 
family, I don’t want to be put with another.

HANK
And I told YOU, Walt, that you don’t get to choose 
anymore. You’re not Heisenberg now. 
(He places a hand on WALT's shoulder) 
You don’t have to live with him for the most part. 
 But there’s the other three you’ll have to put 
up with…

WALT
Other three?


Hanks nods in the direction of the two boys who had been unloaded moving boxes. They are now engaged in a fist fight while a smaller, younger, big-eared boy is setting fire to the plants on the front lawn.


WALT
We should stop that kid!

HANK
We’? He’s your son, Walt.

WALT
Him too? God dammit, Hank.

HANK
All three of them are, and you see her, there? 
 (he points at the woman who is storming back to the car) 
That’s your new wife.  You can call her Lois.

WALT
Oh god… why’s she in protection?

HANK
She’s done a few things, here and there. 
 Frasier, Law and Order, Party of Five. To be honest, 
this is just another gig for her.

WALT
Gig?

HANK
Uh… never mind.

LOIS
Hey, come in if you’re coming in, don’t just sit 
there letting the kids do all the work.

They walk toward the house.

WALT
(looking helplessly at Hank)
Don’t do this to me, Hank.  I'll have a breakdown 
here, I just know it.

HANK
You’ll see, Walt. This is for your own good.

Solemnly he walks to the door.

WALT
I guess you think I should be thanking you, Hank.

HANK
Thank me by never, ever trying to contact anyone 
of us, ever. 

Walt clenches his fists. Hank starts to walk toward the car but turns one last time.

HANK
Oh yeah and uh, make sure you read through 
your profile pack. 

WALT removes a book from the inside pocket of his jacket.

HANK
 Get to grips with your new identity.

WALT
I thought you said we’d discuss the name, you 
said we’d talk about the new career -

HANK
Yeah well, I changed my mind. don’t screw things up 
this time, buddy.

He turns round and walks away toward the car without turning back.  Hank stands there, leafing through the pages.


WALT
Son of a… (shouts after Hank) 
Are you kidding me with this? I’m ‘Henry’? You 
named me after yourself?

HANK
Hey, you don’t have to go by ‘Henry’. 
(He turns and smiles)
You could go by Hank. Or, I don’t know, there are 
other versions you could use... 
(shrugs his shoulders)
How about Hal?

No comments:

Post a Comment